DH went for his scrotal ultrasound today. We waited over 3 months for this appointment. It’s good news, and bad, I guess.
He showed up an hour early by mistake, because he didn’t read his confirmation email. Usually, I handle all the appointments and I make a calendar reminder on his phone for him. But the clinic contacted him directly for the appointment, and he didn’t let me know the exact time. At least he wasn’t late. It just sucked for him because he thought his appointment was at 6:45 am instead of 7:45 am. Anyway, as much as I want to, I can’t control everything.
DH had a hydrocele when he was younger. He took a puck to the nuts. He had to have it drained, and everything was okay. One of our concerns when we saw the urologist was that this injury caused some scarring that was blocking the vessels for the sperm to get out. The ultrasound was to see if this was the case.
The results were good. He has a little bit of scar tissue from the injury, and a little bit of hydrocele on both sides, but very small, no varicose veins, no damage to the surface or interior, so essentially, the injury should have no effect on fertility, and everything is fine.
While this is great news, it also isn’t great news because our male factor infertility can’t be fixed with surgery. It means that his bad SAs are likely a direct result of his chromosome abnormality, or could be related to his depression.
He is convinced that we can get pregnant naturally, but I am absolutely certain that we can’t. He also just found out one of his closest friends is seeing a fertility doctor, and they are doing whatever they can to avoid IVF. DH seems to think we can avoid IVF too. They’ve been trying for two years, and DH has seen the stress in his friend’s life because of TTC.
DH doesn’t seem to understand that our issue is now a genetics thing. I don’t know if he understands that he may never be able to father children, or that if I get pregnant, what the chances of miscarriage, and birth defects are.
I wasn’t planning on starting treatment until January anyway, and DH wants another SA to prove that it was his stress. So we will do another SA before we start IVF and go from there.